Self-awareness check-in is the term I use instead of meditation with my clients.
Because there is so much attached to the word meditation.
The ones who practice it daily and swear by it, will use the word all day long. To their friends. To their peers. On social media.
Then there is the other side, of people who get intimidated by the word alone, so they don’t even want to think about it.
To me though, meditation is basically a self-awareness check-in with yourself.
A check-in to see, how am I feeling?
Where in my body am I holding tension? Tension in certain body parts can tell you a lot about what is going on in your life.
How can I be better?
What is going right?
What am I grateful for?
Quieting the mind might seem counterintuitive but it really does give us the answers to all of those questions.
Once we get those answers then we can start to show up better in our lives. We start to innately want to make changes.
Which then leads to greater joy, less stress and anxiety, more confidence, inner peace and helping us be more present in our lives.
And who does not want that?!
“The only way out is through” – J.K. Rowling
When you get quiet, especially in the morning before you let your day run you, you start to gain greater awareness into your needs.
You will be in control of your day.
You will feel a sense of calm wash over you and then suddenly, you will start to take actions towards feeling better.
We don’t have to rely on the outside world having the answers to all of our problems. Endlessly searching ,when in reality the answers are really just inside of us.
We just have to make the time to listen to it.
How to get started with self-awareness check-in
A simple way to get started is by setting an alarm in the morning at least 30 minutes before your usual wake time.
You can do it any time of the day – but if there is one thing I know to be true, the absolute BEST time to do it, is in the morning.
In the morning, the world is quiet.
Your house is quiet.
Your mind is sleepy and quiet. Scientifically without getting into complicated terms, this is when your subconscious mind is the most active. Hacking your subconscious mind is what will lead to changing habits.
- You can stay laying down on your bed (this might make you fall asleep again though) or find somewhere to sit comfortably.
- Start to watch your breath coming in and out of your nose.
- Do a full body scan starting at your toes. Where are you holding tension?
- Ask yourself, what do I need today? Then drift your attention back to your breath.
- Your mind will start to drift and start to think about a million different things. This is perfectly normal. As you as you start to realize it is happening, just bring your attention back to your breath.
- Do this for as long as you can. Even 5 minutes will greatly impact your overall health and wellbeing.
Are you ready to start living your life differently? In having an individualized approach to your health problems so that you can start actually feeling good? Surviving through your symptoms and not having answers, is not the way to live. There is another way out.
That other way out is through a health coach. Someone who is trained on human behavior, motivation and health. Someone who is trained to help you excel, with YOU in the driver’s seat of your life.
If you are so ready to make changes in your health because you do not want to go to another doctor, or make another hospital trip – then let’s get you scheduled. This is your sign that you are worth it.
- Self-Love Masterclass: Throughout the year I will be hosting a Self-Love Masterclass for those who want to transform the relationship they have with themselves. Getting on the waiting list will get you exclusive access to be the first to know when it will be opening up before it sells out.
- Concierge health coaching – a private 60 minute consultation if you do not want to commit to 3 months. You just want support when you need it. This is the best one for you.
- 3-month program. Bi-weekly sessions with unlimited support.
- Parent’s group coaching: 5 weeks of group coaching. Next circle is coming up in April. April 10th to be exact. This is a much more affordable option with a group of like-minded parents. You do not want to miss it!
- 2-Day VIP Intensive Retreat. Escape your everyday life to really take your overall health to the next level.
What do you think, is self-awareness check-in a better term for meditation?
Deeply grateful you are here reading this!
Alejandra at Living Well Co.