The tea on self-love.
Why it should matter to you and how you can start practicing it today.
When you start your health and healing journey, strengthening the self-love muscle will keep you coming back for more.
Why? Because you will feel so good internally. You will feel a new sense of empowerment.
So here is the tea on self-love.
It is not easy. You have to do a lot of things that are uncomfortable and do not come naturally to you.
Yet, that is what is so powerful about practicing self-love. You will start to listen to your intuition.
The little voice inside of you that guides you to make all of the right decisions.
When we don’t have self-love though, we don’t trust that inner voice. We actually reject it because we think it’s actually out to get us.
Which is very conflicting. Our souls tell us to do one thing, then our conditioned minds tell us to do the completely opposite.
Yet, we were born with this intuition. We were born to make ourselves happy. We weren’t born to make our parents happy, our partners, siblings, friends, colleagues. Only ourselves.
Every time I hear the lyrics to the Britney Spears song “I was born to make you happy” I cringe.
We think we have to sacrifice ourselves in the name of love. Yet, that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Only when we show up for ourselves, is when we can actually give ourselves to others. Otherwise we will be in a toxic vicious cycle of resentment and dissatisfaction.
How do you know if you need to work on your self-love game?
Here are a couple of signs:
- You are not prioritizing your mind and your body: stressed, burnt out, lack of sleep, exercise and nutrition.
- You are constantly worried about what others think of you
- You do not know how to say no
- You have an inner critic: For example, when you make a mistake you say to yourself “how can you be so stupid?”
- You lack confidence
- You justify toxic behavior from others
- People pleasing tendencies
- Imposter syndrome
Let’s continue on to more of the tea on self-love.
10 Ways to start practicing self-love today:
- Ask yourself, where do I need to say no more? Listen to your intuition. When it is a no, it is a no. You don’t need to overexplain yourself. If someone continues to violate your boundary, leave the table. That says a lot about their character.
- Be kind to yourself. How are you speaking to yourself everyday? Start to notice your inner critic. The longest relationship you will ever have, is the relationship you have with yourself.
- Get comfortable disappointing people. You can’t control anyone’s happiness but your own.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. You weren’t born to be like everybody else. You have your own unique path in this life. Your body, the way you talk, the way you think, the way you move, the way you laugh, is so uniquely beautiful.
- Don’t let others inner turbulence disturb your inner peace. Keep living your life. The more disturbed they are, the louder they are. Ignore them.
- Limit social media. This is another way to compare ourselves to others. To curated lives that we don’t know anything about.
- Give yourself a compliment everyday. This is how you cultivate deep love with yourself. You do not need anyone’s approval but your own.
- Practice self-awareness check-ins. What do you need to fill your own cup today? How’s my body feeling?
- Cook yourself a nutritious meal. Cooking yourself a nourishing meal is one of the most satisfying ways to show yourself some love.
- Ask yourself, what have I been wanting to do for a long time but haven’t had a chance to do? Then go do it!
Are you ready to start living your life differently?
Tired of paying the price of all the stress and putting yourself and your health last?
There is a way out.
That other way out is through a health coach. Your own personal coach that will look at all areas of your life, to see how you can make changes.
Changes that will create long-lasting results.
These changes come from looking at nutrition, self-care, movement, and daily habits.
As your coach we will work on a step-by-step plan together on reaching all of your health goals and then leaving you empowered to continue making changes on your own.
If you are ready to start living well and say goodbye to the stress and burnout that has you surviving instead of thriving – contact me now.
With love and gratitude,
Alejandra at Living Well Co.